In 2009 the Aviation community chose WiMAX as the next generation terrestrial wireless communications technology. The fundamentals attractions of the decision was centered
around the following features that WiMAX offered:
- The ability to offer Scalability relative to bandwidth, frequency channels and future growth, and ensure Guaranteed Quality of Service (QoS) profiles to meet priorities of data transmission;
- Being a mature technology, WiMAX allows the Aviation Industry the necessary governance in terms of standards based protocols to match network governance requirements;
- The stability of Secure solutions that encompasses authentication, authorization, encryption and the ability to deploy digital certificates;
- Where privacy is required in environments such as airports and other discrete aeronautical environments, WiMAX provides support for private Virtual Local Area Networks (VLANs);
- With deployed WiMAX technologies being based on modern communications technologies and supporting modern Internet-based network protocols, the industry has the ability to leverage more economical commercial scales than new technologies.
ConvergEX Technologies has successfully emerged as a leader in the provision of hardware solutions for the AEROMACS industry and is an active member of the Aviation Working Group within the WiMAX Forum®.